A Voyage Down To The Centre Of The Earth !
Descent down to a dormant volcano. A true volcanic adventure.
The Thrihnjukagigur is a a dormant volcano that hasn´t erupted for the last 4000 years. It is located near the Blue Mountains which are just a short drive from Reykjavík. This tour can be combined with day tours from Reykjavík.
Operation dates: From May 10 – October 31
- Tour departures: Several departures every day. The first tour is at 8:00 and the last tour is in the afternoon.
- Duration: 5–6 hours (about 40 minutes inside the volcano).
- Fitness level needed: Moderate (the level of difficulty is 2 out of 5). No knowledge of hiking or climbing is required. It’s not a steep uphill walk, but the surface is uneven in places. The last 10 minutes of the hike are the more challenging, with an elevation of around 50 m/150 ft. This is NOT a tour for those in limited physical shape.
- Distance walked: Approximately 3.5 km (2 miles) each way. The walk usually takes around 45–50 minutes (depending on the condition of people in the group). A guide will be with you at all times during the walk.
- Minimum age limit: 8 years old. Children that are able to hike 2 times 3.5 kilometers, even in bad weather, are welcome to join the tour. If this applies to your child and you have appropriate clothing, then you can go ahead and book your ticket on the booking site. The price for children that are 8-12 is 22,000 ISK. Note that we cannot make a refund if it turns out that your child is not able to finish the hike.
- Price: ISK 44,000 for adults and 22,000 ISK for children (8-12 years od).
- All safety gear, helmets, harnesses, etc.
- Small groups, plenty of guides = personal experience.
- Volcano tour of a lifetime.
- Send us an inquiry and we will send you some more details.